DA FORM 4856 Developmental Counseling Form

Not worth the timeCould be betterA good resourceA great resourceHow did I live without this? (Based on 60 votes)
Loading ... Loading ...

A blank copy of DA FORM 4856. Used to doc­u­ment coun­sel­ing ses­sions. We offer this blank doc­u­ment below in both XFDL (Pure Edge/Lotus Forms Viewer) and PDF for­mats. Both ver­sions can be edited, saved, and printed eas­ily. The fil­l­able PDF DA Form 4856 offers you a quick way to coun­sel your Sol­diers if you are away from your copy of Lotus Forms Viewer.

***To down­load the PDF ver­sion right-click the link above and choose “Save as…“

The documents hosted in the ACO Learning Center come from various sources. Although we have screened every document for quality control, there likely exist errors in content and typography. It is your responsibility to double-check the information you find on this site before you use it professionally. We include documents based on usefulness. It might not all be perfect, but you will surely find some great information that will help you get your work done more quickly.

29 comments

1. LTC Richard Spencer says:

Preper­a­tion” is mis­pelled on your home page

• Sir, now that’s down right embar­rass­ing! Thanks we greatly appre­ci­ate you let­ting us know…we have made the cor­rec­tion! :)

• SGT Kelly Fletcher says:

Sir, you mis­spelled the word “mis­spelled” when you wrote “mis­pelled” in your post cor­rect­ing some­body else’s misspelling.

2. SGT Michael Hall says:

I was won­der­ing if you could post a down­load­able ver­sion you could type on and print or save. That would be greatly appreciated.

3. SGT Michael Spires says:

Why can’t you save a com­pleted 4856? Just won­der­ing, that’s kind of why I need it, haha.

4. Matt.Dail says:

SGT Spires, we’re sorry for the con­fu­sion. PDF’s always open inside of your web-browser by default rather than auto­mat­i­cally down­load­ing to your com­puter. If you’d like to save the form to your com­puter right-click the link and choose “Save Link/Target as…”. We’ll be sure to include a note below the link for future users. Thank you for the input!

5. SSG Laughlin says:

I have searched every where for an updated DA Form 4856 (AUG 2010) that is com­pat­i­ble with Mac or the word on my Mac. Can you point me into the right direction?

• Joshua Sutton says:

You have to down­load the mac-compatible ver­sion of Pure Edge. Once you do that, you can open any .xfdl file.

6. cairo says:

are either of these com­pat­i­ble with the mac? or must i have windows?

7. Matt.Dail says:

To the best of our knowl­edge the XFDL ver­sion is not suit­able for Macs as it uses Lotus Forms Viewer, which is designed for Win­dows sys­tems. How­ever, the PDF ver­sion should open fine on a Mac as long as you install the most recent ver­sion of Adobe Reader found here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=macintosh&product=10

8. SSG Blackmar says:

I’m try­ing to cut and paste into a 4856 Lotus Form. In the “key points” block I can­not paste into it. I can see a quick flicker of it past­ing but it does not actu­ally stay in the block. Does any­one else have this prob­lem? What is the fix?

9. TASHA says:

So happy that there is a fil­l­able PDF of the updated 4856 on this site. Thank you very much :)

10. Ulysses D. Lang says:

I’ve been home and horon­ablly dis­charaged from the army for eight years I’m still always depressed,stressed and I’m tired of my thoughts of my fam­ily being bet­ter off with­out me.

• Ulysses,
      I am cer­tain your fam­ily loves you and cares about you. I am in no way qual­i­fied to dis­cuss such issues but there are local resources avail­able that can assist you in sev­eral ways. The Army has a web­site called Army One Source that pro­vides imme­di­ate assis­tance over the phone and then works through detailed plans. They maybe able to pro­vide assis­tance to vet­er­ans. I believe the local Vet­er­ans Affairs office can also pro­vide assis­tance. Then there are other local activ­i­ties that typ­i­cally include Wounded War­rior Foun­da­tions, Vet­er­ans Groups, Civic Orga­ni­za­tions, and Church groups that can assist you with some of the issues you described. The key is to find some­one who is a qual­i­fied pro­fes­sional and start work­ing through these issues. Don’t let this get the best of you. Keep a pos­i­tive atti­tude and tone.
      I found the fol­low­ing infor­ma­tion online that may be of assis­tance: http://veteranscrisisline.net The Vet­er­ans Cri­sis Line con­nects Vet­er­ans in cri­sis and their fam­i­lies and friends with qual­i­fied, car­ing Depart­ment of Vet­er­ans Affairs respon­ders through a con­fi­den­tial toll-free hot­line, online chat, or text. Vet­er­ans and their loved ones can call 1–800-273‑8255 and Press 1, chat online, or send a text mes­sage to 838255 to receive con­fi­den­tial sup­port 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. More about the Vet­er­ans Cri­sis Line. Here is a link to there Fre­quently Asked Ques­tion page as well: http://veteranscrisisline.net/About/FAQs.aspx#Faq6

Please take the time to speak with some­one so you can begin to work through these issues. Talk to your fam­ily and let them know what you are going through.

11. D says:

Does this prod­uct work with MAC. I brought it but it doesn’t work. It must be some­thing I am doing wrong.

• D,
      Mac’s are not sup­ported. How­ever we have heard that the soft­ware works in a win­dows emu­la­tion soft­ware. We are cur­rently look­ing at plans for a MAC ver­sion of our software.

12. Jim Burnell says:

Your home page indi­cates DA Form 4856 (PDF) or DA Form 4858 (XFDL).….4856/4858???

13. SGT Slater, Torrence says:

Is there any­way you can make it where you can down­load updated forms from the update menu? I got all the quick coun­sel­ings 1–3 and i would like to see a pro­mo­tional coun­sel­ing in quick coun­sel 3.

• SGT Slater,
      What type of pro­mo­tional coun­sel­ing are you look­ing for? CQV1 has a coun­sel­ing state­ment con­cern­ing pro­mo­tion for PV1-SPC, and a coun­sel­ing for Sol­diers that are fully eli­gi­ble but not rec­om­mended for pro­mo­tion. It also con­tains monthly per­for­mance coun­sel­ings that the coun­selor can add pro­mo­tion poten­tial to. If you can pro­vide me so of the specifics you are look­ing for I might be able to point you in the right direc­tion or per­haps pre­pare a spe­cial coun­sel­ing for you.

14. SSG Montalvo says:

Fil­l­able PDF ver­sion does not offer War­rant Offi­cer ranks. Wait­ing for a help ticket before PureEdge can be put on the gvt com­puter. Kinda stuck until then. Just a heads-up, though. Great job on the fil­l­able pdf…just miss­ing some ranks.

15. SGT O'Rourke says:

Could you please add a “Con­tin­u­a­tion Page” to your down­load­able ver­sion of this DA form 4856?

16. chris windsor says: